Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Gilded Life

I fell in love with Versailles. The grandeur, the gilding, the gardens - just too much for the mind and eye to absorb.  I visited the Palace and Gardens a few years back and ever since that moment I became intrigued by both Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette - probably two of the most disliked people in French history.  I actually wrote my final art history paper on the rise and inevitable fall of these two figures.  The fashion world, like me, has always been captivated by her storied fashions and her mile-high wigs. These photographs shot on location for Vogue Japan are breath-taking.  I could stare at them for forever.  

Images from here

13 comments:

  1. love everything gilded too, what a gorgeous editorial!! kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the attention to detail - this is a gorgeous editorial! xx

    www.glittersgold.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the over-the-topness of these....the hair the emboridery and richness in fabric and detail, the volume of the dresses....decadent indeed. beautiful spread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing editorial, the first one is just stunning.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are stunning! Versailles is one of the places I didn't get a chance to visit during my time in Europe. I'd love to go back!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love editorials like this. It's so playful, fun and stylish all at once. I have not been lucky enough to visit Versailles...but I very much want to one day! The history, the beauty and the grandeur are all so attractive!!

    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beuatiful! Love the inspirations - we all need a little bit of victorian style in our lives!

    Following you with blogloving!

    xo,
    Maya {charminglystyled.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful. Another fabulous post, love. If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest post. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in awe of that time period and the history! One of the most magical and fascinating places I've ever been. A part of my heart is still in France.:)
    xo, amy
    www.dreamingincashmere.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those images...to only go back in time, would be a dream to take that all in.

    ReplyDelete